Monday, June 7, 2010

Chefs Invade the White House

Eee! I wish I could've been at the White House for the big event a few days ago. I saw pictures posted to the Twitter feed for the Beard Foundation and it looked so cool - hundreds of chefs all in their chefs whites listening to the first lady talk about the adopt a school initiative. I was so excited when I read about it. I have no problem with the occasional Kraft Mac & Cheese (I have been known to keep a box of spirals on hand), but when pizza and hot dogs are the staples of school lunches, we know that the system needs to be improved. I know the President is trying to add on a few cents to each school lunch, but I wish he'd add more. I love that chefs are willing to partner with schools to get kids excited about growing fruits and veggies and then learning how to cook with them. It's so exciting!

Nearly 1,000 Chefs Answer First Lady ‘s Call to Adopt Local Schools | Center for a Livable Future

2 comments:

  1. Hey Corey!

    Have you seen this blog? http://fedupwithschoollunch.blogspot.com/

    An anonymous elementary school teacher decided to eat the school lunch every day for a year and report her findings. Seems like she has attracted some attention from quite a few people. Don't remember how I first heard about it, but I think it was Matt Estes.

    ~Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did see that! I read it awhile back (and before I started this blog) so I didn't post it. Has the administration figured out who she is yet?

    ReplyDelete